Sunday, May 6, 2012

From Scratch 2, And 10 Miles

I did ten miles yesterday around City Park. I knew it wasn't going to be great when I got there and realized that an MS walk for the cure was going on. It was a very large event, like thousands of people sized event. I got there about an hour before it started. The other thing that I knew was going to be challenging right away was the heat. I was sweating before I even got started on the run. It has been unseasonably warm in Denver lately, and I am just hoping to god that it is not that hot for the race in two weeks. But the race in two weeks starts at 6AM, and I didn't get started yesterday until 8:30, so really I should have just gotten there earlier.

But at any rate, so the first seven miles went okay, but then things kind of fell apart. The MS walk actually started (prior to that they had been confined to one area of the park, and I was able to navigate through them), so there were slow walkers and wheelchairs EVERYWHERE, forcing me to run around them, walk behind them and just generally get pissed off with everyone and everything. The heat was killing me and my body just did not want to run. I downshifted to 2R/1W intervals hoping I could still keep up a halfway decent pace, but even that did not work very well. So, the last two miles were lots of walking for me so my time ended up at 13:22/mile. Oh well. At least I finished the ten miles, there were at least two separate times when I was ready to just call it off. But I knew that while I would not give myself a hard time for a bad run, if I cut it short, I would be beating up on myself all damn day, and I really didn't feel like dealing with that, so I just completed the miles, even if I was walking a good bit.

Next week I need to do eleven. I still plan on going down to City Park, but I will get there at 6:30 instead of 8:30! That way any events that are going on will be getting started after I am done and it won't be so hot. We'll see how it goes.

Then I came home and Chris made this wonderful albondigas soup and spoon bread in honor of Cinco De Mayo! All from scratch.



And here we are lovingly consuming it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment