Monday, May 7, 2012

Skinny Mirror

I've been going to my gym for almost three years now. For the first two years, I believed that the mirror in the women's locker room of that gym was a "skinny mirror". I definitely looked thinner in that mirror than any other mirror, and it did not seem implausible to me that a gym would put such a mirror in the women's locker room. I used to look at myself in it and giggle a little bit and then move on with my life. I once asked Chris if they had such a mirror in the men's locker room and, after looking at me like I was sprouting a potato for a head, he said no (but he didn't even know such mirrors existed, whereas I, a veteran of weight watchers, knew good and well that such things existed).

A while back I had occasion to have both of my sisters visit my gym (at separate times, they weren't together) and I asked them both to visit the skinny mirror. My one sister decided I was completely insane and said that mirror was absolutely not a skinny mirror, and my other sister agreed that it was not a skinny mirror (although that sister seemed to have much more empathy to the fact that I might have thought it was, but this was the same sister who had to force me to go into The Loft because I was convinced I wouldn't be able to find an outfit there at a size 14, but I digress). Anyway, the point is, they both agreed that there was nothing special about that mirror, and when I went up and asked the lady who happened to be manning the front desk the day that the other sister laughed and implied I was crazy she said, after looking at me like I was sprouting a potato for a head, that she really doubted it was any kind of special or skinny mirror, although she admitted to not really knowing for sure.

So I figured, okay, I am a bit crazy. This was plausible given my history of believing I am much bigger than I actually am, so I accepted it and told the story to my third sister when she was visiting, and we both had a good laugh.

But the other day, I ran into the owner. She caught me sizing myself up in this very same mirror. So, after confirming that she was, in fact, the owner of the establishment and therefore in a position to know for sure, I asked her if the mirror was a skinny mirror.

She said it absolutely is! She said what she does is tilt the mirror upwards at the bottom (she puts like a prop behind it), and this gives the illusion of being thinner. She also said she doesn't do that in the men's room mirror because guys generally don't want to be seen as smaller, they want to be seen as bigger.

So, my question to my husband and my sisters is who is the crazy one now motherfuckers? WHO'S THE CRAZY ONE NOW!?!?!?!?!?!?

Pic taken yesterday at the gym, where I did four miles on the elliptical and some upper body weights. I am not this skinny in real life. This has been confirmed by an independent individual in a position to know for sure.

2 comments:

  1. lol you are still a crazay beatch! I can't believe they would put a skinny mirror in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think they should at least put up some kind of notice about it, rather than just play a dirty trick like that and not tell anyone.

    ReplyDelete