Sunday, September 23, 2012

Changing Goals

6.5 done today. It was a good and joyful run. I focused really on just finishing the run doing the intervals I wanted to do (which I did, 5R/1W), I did not look at my Garmin, and my time was correspondingly disappointing (11:58/mile).

So, I get home and I'm telling Chris that it was a really nice run, but I just cannot seem to do much better than a 12 minute mile for those kind of distances, and I just don't think I am going to be able to do Vegas in 2:30:00 like I wanted to.

He commented that I just did not seem very excited about this race, not happy in my training, etc.

And I realized it is because I have just been focusing way too much on time. Half Marathons are supposed to be at least somewhat fun, and if they aren't, then why do them? Last week's long run was miserable. I ran hard, kind of hurt my foot, and all for 11:50/mi, STILL not the pace I wanted to hit and was miserable to boot.

So, I'm done with this 2:30:00 goal. I am hereby changing the goal! My only goal is to beat my previous time, even if it is only by one minute (hell, even if it is only by one second!). I want to run the race at 5R/1W intervals, and beat my former time. That's it, that is all. Oh, and I would prefer to have a bit of fun while doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment